As you all know, since I have almost no fiberglass experience, I’m hesitant to jump into the repair by myself. Fortunately, I’ve had an offer of help to get the weldments fiberglassed, so with some luck I’ll get the project finally moving. I’ve already posted pictures of removing the weldments, but these new pics have rulers in them so give an idea of the size of the repairs needed.
Here you see where I’ve cut into the sole of the cabin to get access to two of the four weldments. The other two were accessed by going through the dinette seat and don’t show in the cabin. Above the 2″ mark on the ruler there is a dark rectangle with a darker round hole in it. The post of the weldments will be inserted into the hole with the backing plate sitting flush into the rectangle left from the old weldments. The horizontal dark marks above the rectangle are places where I cut through to the bottom of the boat in the process of cutting out the old weldments. The side fiberglass is VERY thin there. (Although it won’t be when the weldments are glassed back in.)
The photo below shows another view of the starboard weldment, this time showing that the depth of the cut was about 1 and a half inches;
Below is a view of the port weldment cutout from below. You can see a much bigger cut through. This was the first weldment I cut out, before I realized what was happening, and thus was the biggest cut through. Even though I knew what was happening, there really isn’t much room there. Out of the four weldments I cut out, only 1 came out without cutting all the way through the hull.
Below is a picture of the same area, just from farther away.
And here is how the keel will be attached to the boat. These are things are solid and heavy! But then again, they have to hold a 550 lb keel on.
The other fiberglass repair that is needed is to repair where a cleat was ripped out. Probably small repair, but still outside my experience level. This is on the top of the port gunwale, near the stern.