Sunfish project is patiently waiting.

image

Sunfish waits patiently for attention.

The “project that must not be named” continues to absorb all my time. (that and the “job that must not be named”).

However, I have ordered a belt sander for the sunfish and a needle scaler for the keel, so I am hoping to slip in a little progress here and there.

Don’t give up on me, there will be boat rehab and sailing someday.

Advertisements

Wheels on the scroll saw stand

I inherited a bunch of power tools from my dad.  (Would rather have you than the tools Dad – miss you)

One of them is a scroll saw and a stand.  The stand didn’t have wheels, and I want to be able to move it around the garage as different needs for space develop.  So I put wheels on it.  Would have been easier if I could have found some wheels that fit the stand directly, but this works.

Here is what I started with:

scroll saw stand without wheels

scroll saw stand without wheels

The wheels are standard home depot stuff.  I cut some 2×4 blocks, then made an x from corner to corner to get the center.  I counter sunk a bolt and then attached the blocks to the stand with a nut and washer.

Wheel close up

Wheel close up

Then I used four lag screws to attach the wheels to the blocks.  Notice that little lever on the side of the wheel?  These are locking wheels, so it should be able to stay in position when using it.

Almost done, this shows all the tools I used.

almost done

almost done

And here is the finished product.

scroll saw on wheels

scroll saw on wheels

Slowly and steadily I’m getting the garage into shape.  Soon I’ll be moving the big boat into the garage.

See the sunfish waiting patiently in the background?  The fan is still blowing through it to dry it out, but I don’t think it’s going to get much lighter than it already is.   Should be able to start on the sunfish repair in a couple of months.  Can’t decide if I want to put the trailer together first, or get the boat in shape.  Probably the boat.

HorseTrailer Wiring

I continue to be inundated with non-boat projects.  I am working furiously to knock out the super big project which must not be mentioned by name.  I also manage to slip in other projects as criticality rises based on deadlines and usage needs.  Here is an example:

The horse trailer is needed next weekend by Mrs. CapnRehab.  The lights were acting a little funky so I needed to test them.  Looking on the internet gave me the info I needed about the wiring harness. (Thank you http://www.etrailer.com)

7-Way Trailer Diagram

Now on to testing the trailer lights.  It actually turns out to be pretty simple.  All you is a 12 volt battery and a setup like this:

trailer light test kit

trailer light test kit

I got these parts at Autozone. (Sorry.  No matter what I do this picture comes out upside down.)

Test Kit Components

Test Kit Components

Notice these are of type “ATC”.  Don’t get a fuse holder of type ATM and fuses of type ATC.  It won’t work.  Who knew there were different types?

Here is the setup I used.

Test kit hooked up

Test kit hooked up

Connect the ground of the battery directly to the trailer, then use the fused wire to touch the trailer hookup connector leads one at a time.  I found out everything was fine except for the running lights.

So as I started working on it, I noticed this.  It’s very difficult for the lights to work if they’re not connected to anything.  Maybe that should have been the first thing to check.

Found the problem

Found the problem

Here are all the pieces laid out ready to go.  The old parts are on top.  Notice the old light housing has 1 big bolt holding it on.  The new has 2 tiny screws.  They just don’t make things like they used to.  (10 years ago).  The newlight is an LED .vs. the old light is a bulb, so I guess there are some improvements.

old parts/new parts

old parts/new parts

So I replaced two light housings and reconnected two other sets of broken wires.  All like new again.