Hole in my boat

At long last, there are finally holes in my boat!  And that’s a good thing.

I suspected my sunfish is heavy due to the interior flotation being saturated with water. I’ve been needing to create some ventilation so begin the reverse osmosis process and evaporate the water.

I got a 4″ port from West Marine this past summer, but never really had a place to work on the boat.  Now that I have a garage and the sunfish is up on sawhorses, the only thing stopping me was the bazillion other house rehab projects on the “do list”

Here is the crew ready to get to work. We started on the forward hole. We drew a centerline between the daggerboard slot and the peak of the splash guard. Then marked the outline for the port.

The crew ready to get to work

The crew ready to get to work

I drilled a pilot hole to make room for the jigsaw blade. I drilled right next to the edge, but there was a little bit of splintering. I recommend being inside the circle a bit to start.

Drilling a pilot holle

Drilling a pilot holle

Next was cutting the hole with the jigsaw. It went very smoothly, except for the jigsaw blade falling out and down into the boat insides. Luckily I had another. Not sure why it came out. The set screw was securely fastened.  I retrieved the blade once the hole was cut.

Cutting the forward ventilation hole

Cutting the forward ventilation hole

Here I am cutting the hole near the stern.

Cutting hole near stern

Cutting hole near stern

Here are the pieces that were cut out. I cut through a piece of the flotation foam in the back. It was soaking wet! Saturation theory was correct!

Cutouts

Cutouts

Inside doesn’t look that bad. I thought it would be real moldy. The foam to either side was wet to the touch.

inside look

inside look

I left the light inside to heat it up a bit, and put a fan blowing front to back. The foam that I can reach at the back already feels dry. However, I suspect the bigger blocks of foam will take a lot of drying out.

Here is what it looks like now.  You can see the rear hole through the wire shelving.  That is a small black house fan on top of the forward hole.  It’s blowing pretty fast, but it is the lowest speed fan I have to use.

Drying out

Drying out

That is “Little Red” the riding lawnmower in the bottom right. His starter is not working at the moment.

That’s also the pegboard wall going up behind the boat.  Ran out of material last night due to a slight miscalculation.  Heading back to home depot today to get more stuff to finish.

No shortage of rehab projects around here.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Hole in my boat

  1. We are glad you still get to work on the boat even in winter. How many types of foam are inside the hull? If all goes well we will be passing down through the Chesapeake this summer. We owe you a beer!

    • I’ll take you up on that beer anytime!
      It looks like there may be at least 2 types of foam, solid blocks and some goopy looking stuff.
      Drop by anytime. I’d love to see the new “Gremlins Hammer”.

Leave a reply, would love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s