At long last, there are finally holes in my boat! And that’s a good thing.
I suspected my sunfish is heavy due to the interior flotation being saturated with water. I’ve been needing to create some ventilation so begin the reverse osmosis process and evaporate the water.
I got a 4″ port from West Marine this past summer, but never really had a place to work on the boat. Now that I have a garage and the sunfish is up on sawhorses, the only thing stopping me was the bazillion other house rehab projects on the “do list”
Here is the crew ready to get to work. We started on the forward hole. We drew a centerline between the daggerboard slot and the peak of the splash guard. Then marked the outline for the port.
I drilled a pilot hole to make room for the jigsaw blade. I drilled right next to the edge, but there was a little bit of splintering. I recommend being inside the circle a bit to start.
Next was cutting the hole with the jigsaw. It went very smoothly, except for the jigsaw blade falling out and down into the boat insides. Luckily I had another. Not sure why it came out. The set screw was securely fastened. I retrieved the blade once the hole was cut.
Here I am cutting the hole near the stern.
Here are the pieces that were cut out. I cut through a piece of the flotation foam in the back. It was soaking wet! Saturation theory was correct!
Inside doesn’t look that bad. I thought it would be real moldy. The foam to either side was wet to the touch.
I left the light inside to heat it up a bit, and put a fan blowing front to back. The foam that I can reach at the back already feels dry. However, I suspect the bigger blocks of foam will take a lot of drying out.
Here is what it looks like now. You can see the rear hole through the wire shelving. That is a small black house fan on top of the forward hole. It’s blowing pretty fast, but it is the lowest speed fan I have to use.
That is “Little Red” the riding lawnmower in the bottom right. His starter is not working at the moment.
That’s also the pegboard wall going up behind the boat. Ran out of material last night due to a slight miscalculation. Heading back to home depot today to get more stuff to finish.
No shortage of rehab projects around here.